Tuesday, March 18, 2014

A nursery for baby Orson

To be perfectly honest, when I found out we were expecting another baby, the thrill of designing another nursery was an added bonus. But with moving expenses and medical bills, money was too tight to invest in new pieces for the nursery, so I decided to repurpose Avery's furniture and pull pieces from other rooms of the house. The challenge was to create a whole new look and not just a repeat of Avery's nursery.

With Orson's nursery, the decision was to keep it clean and simple so it would grow with him as he ages. Although we loved the tree mural in Avery's room when he was a baby, it was hard to convert his sweet nursery into a big boy room when his interests became more focused on roller coasters and similar unrelated subjects.

So we went with a somewhat neutral paint color and decorated with colorful accessories that can easily be replaced when the time comes.

We've lived in this house now for five months and besides the kitchen, this is the only room I can say is complete. Well, at least for the time being (I'll be happy when the carpet is replaced with hardwood, but it's not going to happen anytime soon).

The reading corner: the woven basket is filled with board books and the book shelf showcases some of our favorite children's books. 

Little Lambie welcomes you: the least expensive way to add art to a home is to make your own. I found Avery's toys to be great subjects for painting exercises and a sweet way to memorialize his favorite stuffed friends. 

The whole picture: using a different paint color was the transformative element needed to give this nursery its own identity. Behr Sage Tint is my new go-to color, as it changes in different light - from gray to pale green to pale blue. It is the perfect neutral backdrop to make the white furniture pop and subtle enough to not compete with the vivid colored items in the room.

I made the quilt for Orson during the final month of my pregnancy. Originally I wanted to hang it over the crib, but I'm paranoid it'll fall off the wall and smother him, so now it sits folded on the shelf (it's only displayed on the side of crib for photo purposes). Is that crazy?  

My favorite corner in the house: the alphabet poster is by Binth, our old living room ottoman was given a new life when covered with IKEA fabric, the fox doll was purchased at the Brooklyn Flea from Hazel Village, Bobby painted the vintage rocking horse as a Christmas gift for Avery and the mobile was hand sewn during my first pregnancy for Avery using this pattern. The dresser is an IKEA hack and the vintage pillow was given to me when I complimented it in a friend's home.

My sweet friend Elaine made the bunting hanging over the closet originally with the name "Enzo" spelled out. Unfortunately, we ended up changing the baby's name the week before his birth, but luckily the bunting is double-sided. The Go and Do poster is from Help Ink.


It's kind of fun to do the impossible: an inspirational sentiment illustrated in this screen print by Tad Carpenter via Help Ink.

Having another baby was the excuse I needed to finally purchase this pull along toy designed by illustrator Marc Boutavant. It is one of the few toys we've purchased for Orson - the rest are Avery hand-me-downs.


We like our mocs: a basketful of moccasins, mostly hand-me-downs, waits for little feet to grow into them. Handmade soft cube is from Kitsch and vintage duck toy is from ModFolk.

Since we used Avery's dresser and shelf in Orson's nursery, we needed to find new furniture for Avery's room. And on a budget. I can't wait to show you what we ended up finding!





3 comments:

Leesa said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE...will you please come and style my home?

Kim Wadsworth said...

Every young mother will take inspiration in your nursery tutorial.

Maria Mandle said...

So sweet! Can We come to play?